This post has been a long time coming, but it’s time to talk about why I’ll never quit my day job. Some of you may know that I am a Realtor by day, and that is something that I never plan to change. (You can read more about my Real Estate world here.) Sure, there was a time when blogging full time was the goal, and I ran myself ragged working toward. At the beginning of the year (after spending a year in burnout mode) I shifted my mindset, and I feel more control of my work life and my day job than ever. I had to make a decision, and I chose to put my day job, Real Estate first. Here’s why:
Top, c/o / Pants (on sale!) / Shoes (Zara) / Bag (Zara – old) / Sunnies
1. Blogging doesn’t pay the bills. At least, not for me anyway. Real Estate is my life line. It’s what puts food on the table and pays the mortgage payment. Sure, I make income from blogging, but not even to keep up with my lifestyle, and I certainly don’t do it for the money. This blog is simply my passion project, and any money I make from it is just the icing on the cake.
2. The passion vs the pursuit. A good friend once told me that one of the biggest problem with entrepreneurs these days, is that they confuse their passions with their pursuits. That REALLY resonated with me, and is one of the main reasons I decided to change my mindset and put the blog in a healthy space in my life, versus letting it run my life and be my day job. Real Estate is the pursuit and the blog is the passion, and the second I realized that, the blog immediately became less of a burden and more “fun” again.
3. I love my day job. I really LOVE Real Estate. And you know what? I’m pretty good at it, too. Sure, I lose a lot of sleep over stressing out over stupid details, (because I want everything to be perfect) and it’s really one of the most stressful careers one can have (trust me) but there is nothing more rewarding than knowing you did a good job for your client and helping them find their dream home. Beyond that, I work with my husband and my in-laws, and we support each other, daily, in our business. It’s really hard for me to think about changing that, because we have gotten into such a groove/system, and thinking of changing that is something I really struggle with. Some people care more about their passions, than their sense of duty, but duty is way more important to me. This is where I’m supposed to be right now, and that’s fine.
4. I can do both. I don’t have to choose one or the other. Sure, I prioritize Real Estate and make sure that the blog doesn’t run my life, but that doesn’t mean I have to give it up, and I don’t plan to anytime soon. It’s my outlet. It’s fun. It’s everything I want it to be, and most importantly, it’s my own thing.
5. Who knows what blogging will be in the future. I mean, it’s a completely over-saturated market, for one! (I envy the girls that started early.) Also, the whole Instagram algorithm has really shaken my faith in the blogging world as a whole. No one EVER sees my posts anymore, yet I’m still expected to have a great IG following to be competitive with brands? It’s like a double edged sword, and reminds me why I’m not willing to put all my eggs in one basket.
I recently did an interview on Bloguettes, sharing more about how I keep up with the hustle and the side hustle. You can check that out here.
Totally agree! I doubt I will get to the point of blogging where I can quit my day job… I really envy the girls that started blogging early too. Right now, I'm just blogging because I enjoy it, and I work my day job, because I enjoy that!KimSimply Lovebirds
Loved this post! It's nice to hear both sides of the spectrum when it comes to real life with blogging mixed in. Great outfit, also, babe! Have a wonderful night!xx,Cynthiawww.thesirenconfidential.comIG: @thesirenconfidential
Yea I longed realized that with blogging, but it is fun hobby to have when you are not stressing about numbers. Love this cute look and your slides are adorable.xoPinksole
I love this Leah! Everything you said completely resonates and your mindset is healthy AND good for the long term. Heidi || Wishes & Reality
I love this top so much! The lace detail is so pretty! http://violettedaily.com
I love it when people love their job. So many people I know are working only because they have to and complain every day! Awfull! You look great girl!