I am a total creature of habit. I have a full blow morning routine that I stick to each and every day. Well, every weekday, rather. For some reason, I tend to fall off on the weekends – which is funny, because I rarely sleep in. I just get a little lazy on the weekends – anyone else? Anyway, I digress..
Starting out with a daily routine is a critical part to ensuring I have a successful day, which leads me to a successful work week. If you aren’t a morning person, you might wonder how having a morning routine sets one up for success.
A morning routine sets the tone for your day. So, if you start out implementing a routine that’s focused around healthy habits and a healthy mind and body, you’ll be more prepared to tackle the tasks that come your way, throughout your day.
I’m sharing my everyday morning routine below.
1. Lemon Water – The very first thing I do, as I’m waiting for my coffee to brew, is drink 16oz of warm water with lemon. Lemon water is so great for aiding in digestion, and flushing your body of toxins. Your liver is very active while you sleep, so drinking lemon water first thing, helps restore it. Plus, rehydrating after sleep is a crucial part to feeling refreshed and energized, in the morning, so I like to get it in first thing.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar – After the lemon water, I drink about 4oz of cold water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. There are a number of benefits from drinking apple cider vinegar, such as immunity, weight loss and gut health. It’s a struggle to get down, at first, but I promise you get used to it over time.
2. Devotional – After I have prepared my body, I try to start every morning with a devotional, to prepare my mind for the day. I usually have Jesus Calling out on my coffee table, so it’s easily accessible if I am not doing a particular bible study at the time. Right now, I am doing the Stuck study, which has really opened up some good self dialogue about who I am and who I want to be.
3. Blog – I’d love to say that I meditate or do some other mindful practice to prepare my mind for the day. But, the truth is, the wee hours of the morning are often my only time to get in any blogging, so that’s what you will typically find me doing. I definitely feel my freshest and most creative, first thing in the morning, so I try to write blog posts then.
4. Exercise – I usually try to get in some sort of work out. Whether it be a spin class, a walk with the dogs, or a quick 10-20 minute Tone It Up video, it’s a good way to get blood flowing. I’d love to say that I do this every morning, but time doesn’t always allow it, especially if I have to write a blog post. But getting in any sort of movement, definitely helps me to wake up.
5. Make a list – I LIVE by lists. It helps me to feel less overwhelmed with my daily tasks if I can create a list, and make sure I have everything I need to accomplished that day, written down. Whether it be, following up with a client’s request (in Real Estate), or picking up eggs from Trader Joe’s, it’s literally the only way I get things done.
6. Have breakfast – It’s true. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, and I never skip it! I will usually have some eggs, a smoothie or oatmeal, but I always have something. I often share my smoothie recipes over on my Instagram story, so be sure to be following along, there.
7. Listen to a podcast – On my way to the office, I usually try to listen to some sort of motivational podcast. It helps to put me in the right state of mind to tackle my day. In case you missed it, my top 5 motivational podcasts are here.
I hope you liked reading about my morning routine! Do you practice any of these tips? If not, do you plan to implement any? Do you have any of your own? Let me know in the comments below!